Saturday, November 14, 2009

Baby Brain

I was working at Starbucks when I was pregnant with Hazel and one of my co-workers introduced me to the phrase, "baby brain."  She used the term for everything silly thing I would do.  I was pretty annoyed with her at the time.  I thought it was a huge cop-out, assuming that a pregnant woman is automatically flighty and absent minded at all times.  But I have to admit, with this pregnancy I use the phrase all the time.  A few scenarios, if I may.  

At the OBs office a few weeks back I had forgotten, after dutifully tinkling in my cup, to return the bathroom key.  I put it in my pocket and it wasn't until after my exam (45 minutes later) as I was walking out to a waiting room full of other pregos (probably with full bladders as well) that the receptionist asked "Amanda do you have the bathroom key, because you are the last person I remember giving it to."  Sure enough, it was in my pocket, embarassed, I apologized and handed the key over feeling pretty bad that for the better part of an hour no one was able to get into the restroom.  
Then at Wal-mart the other day a woman, out of breath, came chasing after me saying "miss, miss, I think you left your drivers-side door open!"  (She had literally seen me from across the parking lot and followed me all the way to the produce section of wal-mart.  I said "are you sure?"  And she said yes and that she would have shut it but didn't know if I may have left my keys in there as well.  A nice way of saying "If you are crazy enough to leave your driver's side door open and walk away, who knows if your keys may have still been in the ignition and your baby in the backseat."  (which she wasn't, I remembered to grab her).  But I might as well have put a sign on the car "Criminals take notice, lady with scrambled brain's car, please take." There is really no other explanation than "baby Brain."
I won't go into detail about the countless appointments I have arrived both early and late for, due to inverting numbers and times on my planner. Or how many prenatal vitamins I may or may not consume in a day due to forgetting if I have taken one.
Maybe this is early onset dimensia, but for now, I am chalking it up to the precious fetus sucking the sense out of me.  Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. oh yes.... "baby brain" or as we refer to is "placenta brain" definitely & scientifically exists... Makes for some great prego stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I used to put milk in the bathroom and my toothbrush in the refrigerator. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete