Friday, November 20, 2009

Sad But True

After arriving over thirty minutes late for my last OB appointment I decided to miss the next one entirely...  I was supposed to have my 26 week diabetes test this morning, or so I thought. I set my alarm, ate a well balanced breakfast, gathered my magazines, since the test takes an hour, and was on my merry way. It was perfect timing, the in-laws were in town to watch Hazel and all I needed to be responsible for was getting myself up, out the door and to the doctor. I allowed plenty of cush time to get to there this time. Upon arriving a full 15 minutes early for my appointment I settled myself in for the long haul in the waiting room. Spreading my books and magazines out on the chair to my right and my coat and purse on the chair to the left. I greeted a father and daughter who entered with a smile and hummed to myself as I ironically opened my book "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth." I wasn't half way through one page when the receptionist asked "miss what is your last name again?"  I told her and she responded "I don't have you down for today...oh...your appointment was yesterday."  She offered to get me in a tad bit later in the morning, but Hazel had a doctor's appointment at 10:30 and I knew I wouldn't make it back in time if I took the later time slot.  Tearfully I apologized and she offered to get me in first thing saturday morning.  I rescheduled and this time she wrote the appointment down on a card and handed it to me sympathetically.  Somberly I walked to the car.  The 45 minute drive home was a quiet one, I didn't even turn on my Mariah Carey Christmas cd.  Perhaps I will have better luck tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. OH... amanda! what a bummer...

    You know you can ask them alternatives to drinking the nasty crap. I don't know if you have to fail drinking the stuff first, or if you can just opt for it. But if you have to consume all that sugar, sure seems like you should enjoy the process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I am only 14wks but I am sure I have some of that in my future! I also have the unfortunate pleasure of being prediabetic for the past 2yrs....ugh. (I found you on Tanya Heralds blog btw and wandered over!)

    ReplyDelete