Friday, December 18, 2009

Are you serious people?

Hazel and I went and visited our dear friend, Casey, yesterday.  She lives in a quaint suburb about 20 minutes drive from here.  We exchanged gifts, browsed some of the cute shops, had lunch, and of course, hit up the sbux, where the story takes place.  This particular starbucks was where Casey used to work before becoming a supervisor.  The barista working the bar had remembered me from our one meeting over a year ago.  And she kindly greeted me and told me how cute my daughter was, all things I appreciated.  Then, this one really through me for a loop.  She came around to restock some mugs and said, "you aren't pregnant again, are you?!"  Her tone was generally negative and rude and I couldn't believe she had phrased her question in such a way.  Excuse me? "Yes, I am actually."  I replied, shortly.  "Well, good luck, you are gonna have your hands full."  Thanks tell me something I don't already know.  This is one of my biggest issues with people.  Why make negative comments about things that cannot be changed and/or, are none of your business.  For all intensive purposes, I don't even know this woman, why does she feel she can ask questions and comment about my personal life?  But the fun didn't end there.  Apparently when you have a child anyone feels comfortable walking up sharing advice and showing pictures of their own children.  That is just what happened after Hazel smiled at a gentlemen in starbucks.  He walked right over to me and whipped two photos out of his wallet so I could admire his kids.  Then he proceeded to give me all of his best parenting tips as Hazel ran around breaking mugs and licking the trash cans.  Another pet peeve, can you not see my child is crazy right now and there is no possible way I am digesting one bit of the information you are spueing?  I simply nodded and smiled, but apparently that was enough encouragement for him to talk for 10 minutes straight.  He went into great detail about how him and his wife made a rule that one parent would always stay home with the kids so the other could go to the grocery store in peace.  Good to know.  All this to say he was a very nice man here on business and was traveling back to London shortly.  I thanked him for his advice and wished him a safe flight, as my daughter made one final attempt at getting H1N1 by licking the door.  I am not sure my free latte was even worth it after my experience yesterday......who am I kidding, of course it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment