Monday, March 22, 2010

Why Me

I don't pretend to know everything (or even a little) about parenting, but it is pretty easy to spot a parent who isn't trying or has just given up.  
Point in case:  Today at Gymboree music class.  
My first outing out as an outnumbered mother of two.  I was so proud of myself.  Both kids up, dressed, fed and ready to go.  We even got to music class early so Hazel could play with the instruments.  Things were going fine until, a boy in the class, lets call him Joe, discovered a cute little baby (who just so happened to be mine), sleeping soundly in the corner of the room in his car seat.  We have had other classes with this particular child and I would describe him as a hurricane.  I think he has a gentle sole but has never experienced discipline of any kind.  His mother has no control and he pretty much runs the show.  He came over to Callum and started to rock his seat.  To which I said "[Joe], you left your mommy siting all alone I think she would like you to go sit with her."  He ignored me.  So what happened next???  His mom, no joke, comes over and sits on the other side of Callum allowing Joe to remain where he is, harassing my baby.  It also happened to be Hazel's favorite part of the class where they sing into the microphone and I couldn't even pay attention because Joe and his mom had apparently staken claim to the land surrounding my newborn.  I continued to flash obvious glances of discomfort in their direction, to which Joe's mother would simply state "[Joe] the baby's mommy doesn't want you to do that."  Then, and this is the kicker, she says to me, "Just tell him not to touch him."  WHAT???  NO, YOU TELL YOUR CHILD NOT TO TOUCH HIM.  Who is the adult/disciplinarian here???  Finally, after Joe rocked Callum awake, tried to kiss him and nearly crushed his infant body by crawling into his seat, I had to ask him (and his mother) to move so I could relocate my child right next to me.   Isn't there some kind of social code about this sort of thing???  Another mother sitting near me stated that I had a lot more patience than she.  I don't know if it was patience or sheer shock of the fact that this was actually happening.  That same mom asked Joe's mom, as Joe was throwing a screaming temper tantrum, "does he nap well?"  To which Joe's mom replied "He has decided not to take naps anymore."  Makes  sense.   He clearly does not need a nap as demonstrated by his behavior.  And why shouldn't he be ale to decide that he wants to cut naps out of his daily routine, after all he is two!  You might think after i moved Callum away from them his mother would get the point.  no such luck, they migrated with us and managed finagle in right next to us in the circle.  Really??  Why do I attract these people.  There was another baby in the class, why couldn't Joe and his mother go harass that family?  Anyway, for whatever reason, Joe threw another tantrum and this time laying on the ground, kicking Callum's car seat.  I, annoyed and trying to decide what to say, moved his seat, yet again.  Finally Joe's mom picked him up kicking and screaming and left the room.  We all breathed a sigh of relief.  
I know the "terrible twos" can be rough, but we cannot give up as parents.  There are days where I want to throw in the towel or just lay on the couch and forget my responsibilities, but those are also the days I choose to stay home and not let our disfunction hurt others.  
I do not intend to sound judgmental because Lord knows we all have bad days.  However, I was and am thoroughly ticked that in a place that is fun and safe (and expensive) for children, I had to worry about another child, under his mothers supervision, hurting/suffocating my baby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment